Thursday 2 July 2015

Opportunity costs

Cassini mentioned it some days ago, as a (part time) trader you have to consider your opportunity costs (Opportunity Costs). The time you spend in front of the computer is worth something. Especially at a sunny day like today, there are better things to do as staring to a TV and computer screen. Beside is almost impossible to keep the focus while trading, when it's over 30 degrees Celsius in the room. Unfortunately the most flats in Europe have no air conditioner...

For me the used time is an investment in the future. I take a one month break before I start a new job, so it's a rare opportunity to make an intense testing of my strategies and trading skills. Beside I will make next week "real holidays", when I travel to New York and Bahamas. So I will not lose all my time in front of screens... one disadvantage of tennis matches are the playing hours (at least, when the ATP and WTA are in Europe and and the matches are played during the day). I really look forward to the automn, when they play overseas, and I can trade in the evenings. It's better for the time management, and beside it's not so hot anymore in September.

Despite the heat I spent like seven hours at the ladders. I made just three trades. One was a loser, one was scratched and one was a winner. The profit for the day was 40 Euro. So I had an hourly salary of six Euro. I would call it a decent wage for Africa... :-)  Without joking, it shows the mentioned topic about opportunity costs. I don't like to sound too negative, in the end is a hobby and it's not lost time for me. Especially when I can scale up the profits one day. I am quite sure, that factor 10 would be possible without any problems (at least at Grand Slam tournaments). 70 Euro an hour would be quite okay and equal to a good paid job in Switzerland.

Tomorrow will already be my last trading day of Wimbledon. Like I mentioned above, I will travel for one week to oversea. Of course I am happy about it, on the other hand I never followed a big tournament that intensive like Wimbledon 2015. So it would be also nice to finish what I started...

4 comments:

  1. what do you think of tennis ratings dot co dot co uk ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The page has useful information, but I would never pay the ridicilous prices for his data. In the end you don't win bets, because you know the past. It's more important to read the game and guess the future...

      Delete
  2. Have you tried Cassini XX Draws at £149 a season , only down 20% over last 3 seasons = a bargain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the last one which can complain about services... you are the biggest thief of all. Sorry to see that you are still the same loser. At least one of us made a development since 2014. It's hard to see successful people, right? ;-) Too bad that your trick is not working anymore. I would suppose you to look for a real job instead of stealing people again. What goes around, comes around. Your punishment will come one day, believe me. God is mighty, you know that.

      Delete